You don’t have to sauté or marinade tofu to enjoy it. Whenever you find yourself short on time or just don’t want to cook, this is a super easy and delicious way to add healthy protein to a green salad. This is my favorite cold Crunchy Tofu Salad recipe, provided by special request. If you are still among the tofu-hesitant, I hope that this recipe for Crunchy (cold) Tofu Salad may tempt you to give it a try.
This one’s for you Lucy!
I am providing photos at every step to make it super-easy to get it right the first time; in fact it would be hard to ruin this recipe. You can add whatever vegetables seeds, or other add-ins you prefer.
12 oz fresh tofu (firm or extra firm)
1 large shallot or small onion (app. 1 oz)
2 cloves garlic
1 red or green Chile – chopped fine
2T Silan (Date Syrup) or whatever sweet-ish sauce you have in the fridge (or the packet drawer)
2T Miso, Tamari or Soy Sauce
3-4 Basil Leaves, julienned
Your choice of salad vegetables: lettuce, sweet pepper, cucumber, & carrot
1T Sesame seeds
Optional add-ins: flax seeds, cubed avocado, cubed Kohlrabi, crunchy noodles
- Cube approximately 12 ounces of tofu, cube it, and set it aside in a bowl while you make the dressing.
2. Make the dressing by chopping the shallot (or small onion), garlic and mixing them with the Silan, Miso/Tamari/Soy Sauce, Chile and julienned Basil.
3. Gently stir the dressing into the cubed Tofu and set aside while you cut the salad vegetables.
4. Chop Lettuce, Sweet Pepper, Cucumber and Carrots and place in a separate bowl large enough to hold everything.
5. Gently mix the Tofu (in dressing) into the salad bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy! (I also added Flax seeds.)
Let me know if you try this and how it goes!